Saturday, January 23, 2010

G-l-o-r-i-a

Fascinating target-marketed ad campaign going on here involving painted life-sized cows. The cows are made from a mold, and Peruvian (?) artists have been commissioned to paint the cows as they see fit.





The cows advertise the Gloria company - the primary upscale milk company in Peru - and are placed in public areas in which wealthy people and tourists spend time (e.g., kiss and argue, kiss and argue. I love Latin America.).

Yesterday I saw a man putting up a new cow in Parque Kennedy in Miraflores. Admittedly I was exercising a Starbucks, "big black iced coffee" in hand. I walked over to him, and asked him about the campaign, and he said there were 80 cows in total.




For a second, I made it my goal to find and photograph them all, but then I decided to only capture the ones I particularly liked, aesthetically. I have found a good many of them, I think, though I have not counted. Many overtly advertise Gloria. The distinctly painted cans are embedded in the art, and sometimes the art is actually centered around the milk.

Polititcally, though - why is this campaign aimed at rich people who consume art? Well, they are certainly the only people who shop at Wongs or Plaza Vea, the stores that carry this brand of milk. But is art not for all people? I guess not here.




I will post more cows sometimes.

1 comment: