Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Home is Where the Hearth Is

Dammmmmn.

Lima's culinary scene is just booming along, and if I just reduced the amount of money I spend going out here in Los Angeles, I could fly back and forth more often and eat at events such as these:

http://www.livinginperu.com/news-12494-lima-chef-from-noma-worlds-top-restaurant-cook-with-chefs-peru

(Basically Soren West is coming to a cooking event in Lima. It benefits Valle Sagrado farmers whose land the flood devastated, and goddess knows I would have been there in my alternative life.
"Mom! All my friends are going! Why can't I?"
"Because you have to teach.")

I'm dying a little bit for ceviche - not Mexican ceviche, but real, Peruvian ceviche. That's ok - I can make it.

But I want my lĂșcuma yogurt and I want to eat it with my friends.


Peruvian ceviche with a sweet tuber, yuca, which tastes like a cold sweet potato. 



Drinkable lĂșcuma yogurt. 
Why are we so norteamericanos slow to catch on to drinkable yogurt? 
I pay a pretty penny to keep drinkable yogurt in my US fridge, but it's in every Peruvian (Latin American, I think) household, all the time.



Nobu Matsuhisa, of the sushi empire, began his career in Lima upon leaving his native Japan. 
Among many other things, he popularized the eating of eel in this hemisphere. 
He would buy it at the Peruvian fish markets, and the fishermen would ask what he was doing with the taboo fish. 
He responded that he was feeding it to his dog. 
Little did they know ... 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Maybe I'll incorporate some of these ideas into my dinner party Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peruvian ceviche with a sweet tuber, yuca, which tastes like a cold sweet potato. In your picture IT IS sweet potatoe. Yuca is white

    ReplyDelete